The cold grip of winter has been loosened now that spring is right around the corner. And while pleasant weather and burgeoning foliage generally inspire fun outdoor activities, more than a few Lake County homeowners are content to put these off temporarily and deal with spring cleaning tasks instead. After all, it’s not just the outdoors that should be fresh and clean: your home should be, too.
As you set about making your home sparkle, be sure not to overlook the air ducts. Duct cleaning isn’t usually found on most home spring cleaning lists, but it should be. Air duct cleaning is absolutely necessary in the springtime, and Bill Reynolds Heating & Air Conditioning, a premier HVAC company in the area, explains why below.
Benefits of Duct Cleaning
Having your HVAC air ducts cleaned this spring offers several advantages. Here are some of them:
- Improves indoor air quality. Spring can be a difficult time for those suffering from seasonal allergies. Staying inside as much as possible and keeping all the windows closed might help, but there’s still a chance that pollen and other allergens will find their way into your home. In most cases, these allergy triggers are captured by filters and left to accumulate inside the ductwork. By scheduling a duct cleanup, you’ll ensure that pollen, dust and other particles won’t end up circulating throughout your house.
- Prevents mold from developing. The ductwork collects dust and other contaminants throughout the year. This accumulation is even greater during the winter months because people are naturally inclined to spend more time indoors. As the weather starts to warm up in the spring, this buildup of dust and debris inside the ductwork will be exposed to moisture, which in turn will lead to mold growth. Continuous exposure to mold spores leads to many health risks. You don’t want them floating all around your house, so make sure to have your air ducts cleaned pronto.
- Helps ensure reliable HVAC performance. Is it possible for dust and debris buildup inside the ductwork to create blockages that allow for poor HVAC airflow? Not exactly. The most it can do is add some drag to the flow of air. Dirty air ducts, however, will end up clogging the filters more quickly than expected. When this happens, your HVAC system will need to work overtime to force air through the blockage, which means it will use up more energy. To keep your energy costs to a minimum, promptly schedule a duct cleaning service with a trusted local HVAC technician.
- Helps your HVAC system last longer. The fact is that dirty ductwork can put unnecessary strain on your heating and air conditioning system. This will lead to premature wear and tear on its internal components, which will increase the possibility of performance issues. When overlooked, these problems can even lead to a system breakdown. By simply having your air ducts cleaned, you can avoid the hassle and expense involved with a premature HVAC replacement.
- Keeps unwanted guests at bay. Insects are attracted to dirty places. Keeping your ducts clean helps get rid of bugs that may be lurking inside them. Not only that, but this also discourages other pests that prey on these insects from making their way into the ductwork.
Some Facts You Need to Know About Air Duct Cleaning
Now that you know the whys of air duct cleaning, it’s time to learn more about the whens and hows. For example:
- It’s recommended that you have your air ducts cleaned every three to five years in the spring.
- You’ll also want to schedule duct cleaning following a major home remodel since construction dust and debris have likely settled inside the ductwork.
- If you’re moving into a new home, a thorough duct cleaning can make a huge difference to the health and comfort of you and your family.
- Duct cleaning is usually done using a rotating brush to dislodge dust, debris and other allergens. A powerful vacuum is then placed around the duct opening to safely extract the loosened pollutants. This equipment is attached to a large hose that leads to a receptacle outside.
- You’ll know your ducts need to be cleaned if your seasonal allergies are triggered or become worse when you’re inside the house or if there’s evidence of pest infestation inside the ducts. If you see visible pet dander, dust or pollen coming out of the ducts or notice a musty smell emanating from them, schedule a duct cleaning service immediately.
Finding a Trusted HVAC Technician Who Can Meet Your Needs
If you think air duct cleaning is a time-consuming and stressful task, then you’re absolutely right. There’s nothing wrong with taking a step back and letting a trusted HVAC professional handle the work. And finding one who can provide excellent service is actually pretty simple once you know what to do and look for. Here’s how you can get started:
- Get local referrals. Chances are your family and friends have already worked with an HVAC contractor more than a few times, so hit them up and ask them for recommendations. Of course, you’re free to browse for prospective contractors online, but the opinions and advice of people you actually know and trust will always prove valuable. Referrals, in fact, may offer a more accurate idea of what your experience will be like with a given HVAC contractor.
- Look for the necessary credentials. Once you have a good list of good names, narrow them down by doing a bit of research. Make sure your HVAC technician is licensed and insured. To ensure your greater protection, check for liability coverage and a surety bond as well. If you turn to Bill Reynolds Heating & Air Conditioning to handle your HVAC needs, we’ll be more than happy to show you proof of our qualifications.
- Ask about their experience. You’ll want to work with a company that’s already established on any HVAC task you need done. That way, there’s less chance of costly mistakes and callbacks that can set your project back. Bill Reynolds Heating & Air Conditioning has been in business since 1958. With our team of dedicated, well-trained, experienced HVAC technicians, we’ll make sure every project – from duct cleaning and air conditioning replacement to heating repair and scheduled tune-ups – is done right the first time.
- Read more about their workmanship. Have they received satisfactory ratings and reviews? What do their previous clients have to say about their work? It always pays to choose an HVAC expert who can provide customer-centric service. Bill Reynolds Heating & Air Conditioning is proud to earn 5-star reviews locally and on Google My Business and Facebook from satisfied customers. Homeowners and property managers in Lake County know that when it comes to superior HVAC services, we’re the experts to call on.
Schedule an HVAC Evaluation
You needn’t look further than Bill Reynolds Heating & Air Conditioning for exceptional HVAC replacement and maintenance services. Whether it’s having your air ducts cleaned or having a quality air purification system installed, we definitely have you covered. We proudly serve Eastlake, OH, and the rest of Lake County. Give us a call today at (440) 946-7863 or fill out this contact form to schedule an HVAC consultation. We’d love to hear from you!
Micro Clean DFW says
Since we live in a dusty and dirty environment, our air ducts need cleaning on an annual basis. This is especially important if you have pets or children because they are likely to track all the dirt and dust accumulating over time. Here’s how to clean your air ducts:
1. Start by spraying a light mist of anti-aging cleaner onto the exterior surfaces of the ducts. Be sure to cover all of the seams, crevices, and corners.
2. Allow the cleaner to work its magic for a few minutes before wiping down the entire surface with a cloth or towel.
3. If necessary, use a hose to rinse off any residue from the cleaner.
4. Finally, seal any seams and corners with caulk or tape to ensure that dirt and dust will not accumulate over time.